This was a great project for the students to work with liquid tempera paint which we don’t often use. The students watched “Petunia” by Roger Duvoisin before we began drawing our own Petunia’s in a guided drawing. The main goal of this project was for the students to understand the importance of layering tempera paint, letting it dry, and using black at the very end. I think they are very cute!
To watch Petunia the book on YouTube click here.
Our amazing first grade artists created these cute giraffes. This project was a little bit harder for them to draw than I thought it would be, but they persevered and they turned out so cute! While I did let them choose the color of their giraffes a lot chose to color them realistically.
I wasn’t sure how these were going to turn out, and I don’t think the pictures do them justice, but these sculptures created by our first graders turned out really cool! Before we began we talked about how sculpture is a 3-dimensional type of art so it is important to think about how it will look from all different angles, so they had to make sure they painted and patterned both sides of their mat board. The students had to use two colors on each piece of mat board, learning about the color wheel while mixing analogous colors. Then we added patterns on top of the paint with colored sharpies. The most challenging part of this project was cutting the slits so the mat board pieces could join together.
We have six students whose work will be on display at the LPS District Art Show, one student per grade level. These kiddos definitely impressed me with their outstanding art! I am proud to have them represent Franklin for the 2016-2017 school year.
Anytime you do a project that involves candy the kids get excited. It’s almost as if they think they can reach into the artwork and pluck a piece out and eat it up! The first graders created these awesome snow globes with some guided drawing. While some steps they had to follow along with me they were also able to use their creativity and change their artwork to make it unique. We colored these with marker and the kids were able to choose if they wanted to add glitter or not. My room was very sparkly for a while, but it was worth it, kids just love glitter!
I love how these turned out. The students were shown this presentation on Abstract art. After they were taught how to print the black lines using tempera paint and cardboard. After the black paint dried the students painted in the shapes with cake tempera paint. They all turned out great!
First graders did these awesome flag filled hearts for our Veteran’s Day Assembly this year. We drew the hearts together and the students were able to choose between a waving flag or a straight flag. We then added lines extending from the heart and filled the space in with patterns. We talked about only using patriotic colors, red, white and blue. The students were allowed to use any value of those patriotic colors.
The first graders did these awesome lily pads projects in art for their Art to Remember fundraiser. Drawing the lilies was by far the most challenging part of this project. Some of the kiddos got confused by the overlapping lines and what to erase, but they turned out great despite the challenges! The kids were able to choose the colors they wanted for their flowers, and I showed them how to mix two values of green to give their lily pads a little form. We also discussed mixing purples, blues, and greens in the water. We hope you enjoy these masterpieces!
This project is more challenging than you might think. The challenge lies in the dreaded black! Black is very overwhelming and if you are not able to control your materials it will easily take over the whole artwork. The kids did an outstanding job of controlling the black while creating these adorable penguins.
So proud of all my art show kiddos this year!