Every student will complete a clay project this year. It’s a bit of a challenge to store 600+ projects, but somehow it gets done and the kids just love seeing their project once it goes through the glaze firing! So do I!
The first graders drew these awesome cats with me through a guided drawing lesson. They were able to choose different shapes and lines and they finished them off with their own color choices. We painted this entire project with watercolor and the students were encouraged to practice patience for the neatest result…patience can be hard for first graders! They did a great job.
The second graders did a really good job on these winter foxes. They learned about using three values and small strokes with their oil pastel to create the look of animal fur. It was more difficult than coloring in the body with a solid color, but we were aiming to add texture. The students also learned about creating form on the winter trees using black watercolor and mat board to move the paint around.
Our creative Kindergartners created these super cute pigeons inspired by author Mo Willems. First I showed them the book Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus. I also loved the clip where Mo Willems talks about the importance of reading as well as his own work, so I showed them this short clip. Next, I showed them how to draw Pigeon and then they painted the background with lines and shapes of every color! These turned out so cute.
The second graders created these awesome penguins. They started with a colorful painted background where they were allowed to paint whatever they wanted. We then moved on to the penguins and icebergs, which the students drew step by step with me. Finally, the students used a variety of materials to decorate and personalize their penguins.
I wanted to introduce my second graders to some art from around the world so I chose to teach them about Chinese Ming vases. The students were guided through a lesson on how to draw a variety of vase types. I then taught them how to draw a pagoda and/or a dragon. The students then added their own details, including patterns. We colored them with a variety of blue values. The students then used maker to color on coffee filters with a variety of red values. We then sprayed them with water and let them dry. We used these to make the cherry blossoms after adding some branches in the vase. The students finished these off with the addition of some Chinese characters. The students amazed me with their detailed work! (sorry, these were a bit hard to photograph!)